Six Types of Backbiting are Allowed
Backbiting is the (act of) mentions shame someone – that is – that person does not like it if mentioned. If it is mentioned, his name is backbiting, if not correctly name buht (in Indonesian known as ‘libel’) (please see definition in the book of al-Mausû’ah Fiqhiyyah al-Juz 31 page 330, the work of al-Qurtubi). In the present, the term is similar to backbiting gossip. In fact, all the backbiting gossip is a disgrace because they inform someone (usually the artist) that the artist would not like it.
In general, the law of backbiting is forbidden according to the consensus of the scholars. Some scholars, such as al-Qurtubi, even stated that backbiting is one of the major sins (al-al-Fiqhiyyah Mausû’ah Juz 31 page 332). One of the arguments which show forbidden backbiting is QS al-Hujurât : 12.
يا أيها الذين آمنوا اجتنبوا كثيرا من الظن إن بعض الظن إثم ولا تجسسوا ولا يغتب بعضكم بعضا أيحب أحدكم أن يأكل لحم أخيه ميتا فكرهتموه واتقوا الله إن الله تواب رحيم
“O ye who believe, avoid most ancient of the blue (suspicion), because most of the suspect’s ancient sin. And not bad looking people and do not gossip with one another.
Is there one among you who like to eat the flesh of his brother who is dead? So you would have disgusted him. and fear Allah. Verily Allah is Oft repentance, Most Merciful. “
However, according to Abu Zakariya Yahya ibn Syaraf an-Nawawi ad-Dimasyqi asy-Syafi’i in the book (he) Riyadh al-Righteous, backbiting is allowed within 6 (six) states. His reason: backbiting is allowed in order to achieve the righteousness of Personality ‘, whereas these objectives can not be achieved if no backbiting “( Riyâdh ash-Shalihîn, Chapter Mâ Yubâhu Min al-Ghîbah, page 526).
Six such circumstances – in short – is as follows:
- In the case of persecution. People who complain about people who should be persecuted to the rulers or molesting people who have the power or ability to resuscitate people who commit acts of mayhem that. For example, people who abused it says, “The so and so has persecuted me that way”.
- In terms of asking for help to eliminate unjustice and to admonish those who do disobedience. For example, someone said to someone who is expected to eliminate unjustice, “The so and so did this” and so forth in order to eliminate unjustice. If it does not intend to eliminate unjustice then it is forbidden.
- In terms of advice. For example, someone says to others who are considered able to give advice, “I was persecuted by father, brother, husband or by a person, then how should”. This is allowed if it is necessary to solve the problem.
- In terms of giving warning or advice to the Muslims so as not to fall into crime.
- Openly rebuked the wickedness of those who have appeared or heretical acts, such as a reprimand to The wine drinkers, those who seize property of others, people who apply the sleaze, and so forth. In this case, allowed to call someone evil appeared openly, but were not allowed to mention the person who did not disgrace appeared.
- In terms of recognizing a person. For example, there is someone known by the title or call the ‘specific’, it is permissible to call him with the titles that have been known to them. But if it aims to taunt or insult is forbidden. And, if possible, the titles of the impressive ‘bad’, should be avoided to mention.
According to Imam an-Nawawi, backbiting on the situation in the six skill has been agreed upon by the scholars. Many who support this proposition. One is the tradition of Fatima bint Qais radi ‘anha narrated by Imam al-Bukhari and Muslim as follows:
أتيت النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم فقلت إن أبا الجهم و معاوية خطباني, فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم وأما معاوية فصعلوك لا مال له, و أما أبو الجهم فلا يضع العصا عن عاتقه
“I came to the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam and said,’ Truly I have spoken for by Abu al-Jahm and Mu’awiyah ‘. Then the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said, Mu’awiyah was the poor who have no property, and as for Abu al-Jahm’ he ‘never put a stick over his shoulder (people who like to hit)’. “
(Quoted, and aligned from http://abufurqan.com/2011/04/06/6-ghibah-yang-diperbolehkan/)